The Traveling Adventures of Amanda

This journal is all about my European Adventures! Have a read but just be warned that reading could lead to extreme jealousy!!

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Last of the Italy Pictures!

This picture is from my first ride down the Grand Canal in Venice. It didn't smell nearly as much as everyone said it was going to, but the water did look really sketchy and it was overcast so I did't see everything I could have.
This is the Rialto, one of only 3 bridges that cross the Grand Canal. I was trying to take it as we were coming up to it out the side of the Water Bus. It's a little off-centre but you get the idea. Its so beautiful and on the advice of Simon, Nick, and Chris I stood at the top and just people watched and it was amazing!

The basilica in San Marco. I was late getting there so didn't get to go in, but it was really beautiful. I heard from Ginel and Jerrod that the line-ups to get in during the day were insane, but it was a weekend so it might have been easier during the week...I never made it back though. I did go exploring around San Marco though and found the best chocolate store. They sold every flavour imaginable...however the majority of them tasted like bad toothpaste.


This is the glass blowing demonstration that we went to on Murano Island. It was so cool to watch these guys using glass like it was clay and watching something form out of this liquid hot (magma...just kidding) glass! The blue part is a big piece of glass that he has formed into a ball and the orange stream is liquid glass being added to it.

The pictures above and below are taken from the bell tower on Torcello Island. It was so gorgeous to look out and see all the lagoons. This is probably why Venice is sinking because at one point this is what it all looked like. Whose idea was it to build a city here??? Torcello was the first place inhabitated by Venicians though...just a little bit of trivia there for you...thank you information desk lady for telling me that!!


These are the houses on Burano. They are all crazy colours and combinations. It was so fun to see the bright colous all in a row, especially after being in cities where most of the stuff you see is gray. My favorite was the house that was orange and purple with blue shutters...I am not lying!

The Rialto at night. I took this after the group of us decided not to do a Gondola ride. It was my compensation...however looking back...I have no sad feelings about missing it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home