The Traveling Adventures of Amanda

This journal is all about my European Adventures! Have a read but just be warned that reading could lead to extreme jealousy!!

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Doughnut anyone?

I never thought I would want to sleep so much, but it appears that my body has realized that we have stopped for a few days and that it isn't super important to run around and see everything, and has taken the opportunity to just crash. But I'm not complaining...it has earned the right to sleep for a while.
Dublin has been brilliant so far and I have even met some new friends already! Yesterday I went to my Ireland Orientation, where I learned all I need to do to set up a bank account, pay taxes (yuk!), and some tips on doing my CV...crazy Europeans don't use resumes, but rather a CV which is a little tiny bit different. While there I met a woman named Becky who is a Canadian girl from Saskatchewan, Saskatoon to be exact, and apparently knows a Scott Gulka...I'm sure I am related to this person, I just have no idea how. Anyway, she taught english in Asia for 3 years and met an Irishman and decided to move over to Dublin to be with him...wait...isn't that my dream??? She's super fun and we hung out yesterday afternoon while I hunted for some info on getting a cell phone. During our travels we actually came across a sign that seemed very familiar.
Yes, that's a Tim Hortons sign in Dublin...and it says, 'So Fresh They Must be Canadian'...don't really get the slogan, apparently Canadians are fresh but I never knew that. Anyway, Irishmen like our doughnuts, but the coffee isn't avaiable...weird I know.
Today I finally made my cell phone decision and so went out to get it and afterwards decided to go and have a Starbucks hotchocoloate as a treat. While sitting there reading my book, a woman approached and asked if there was anyone else sitting in the comfy chair at the table. I told her no and we started to chat. Her name is Barbara and she is a real Irish. So incredibly sweet and nice, she let me sit and talk all about my favorite topic, me and my travels. We exchanged emails and she told me that whenever I come back to Dublin I have to stay with her. I am clearly loving this country!
So I sent out out an email with my new phone number in it, but if you didn't receive it for some reason, just email me back and I'll send it to you....just don't want to post it on here and end up having crazies calling me at all hours of the day and night...although it does sound like the beginning of a romantic movie...and the beginning of a creepy thriller where a stalker calls me then finds out where I live and then kills all my friends....just gives me the willies...so in the interest of the lives of all the friends I hope to make in Galway, I'll just email it to people.
Tomorrow I am heading off to Galway and I have contacted a few people to set up times to look at a few appartments early this week. So exciting!
That's about it for now, talk to you all again soon!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    holy crap!
    i'm sooo proud of you!
    lots of love, frankie
    merry early christmas!!!

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey you made it!
    Jeff and i were so excited to hear from you- thanks for the postcard!
    Have a very Irish Christmas!
    love, mel

     

Post a Comment

<< Home