The Traveling Adventures of Amanda

This journal is all about my European Adventures! Have a read but just be warned that reading could lead to extreme jealousy!!

Friday, December 02, 2005

I might have to make-out with this city!

Have you ever loved something before you ever really knew it, only to fall out of love when you see it below the surface? Well that is so NOT how it has been between Paris and I. If anything I am more in love with it. I had always dreamed of Paris. Its beauty and its class. Its humour and its sass. Much like Grandma actually. And the city has not disapointed at all.
My first day here I just wandered around, not really going anywhere in particular. Yesterday is when it all started for me. I pulled my butt out of bed and walked from my hotel across town to L'Arc de Triomph.
It didn't look so far on the map, and besides, my experiences with European maps is that things usually look further than they really are. In fact, Parisian maps seem to be quite acurrate because it took me nearly 2 hours to walk there. But when I did get there it was well worth it. I did the climb to the top and looked out onto Paris. I could see Sacre Coeur, the Centre Pompido, the Opera, Notre Dame, the Pantheon, and of course, the Eiffle Tour. When I got to the roof I actually walked around away from it so didn't see it until I had seen everything else. It did not disapoint. I think (read: did) I even shed a tear or two over the amount of pleasure it brought me. A dream since I was just little. So of course I took about a million pictures of it!
After staring out at Paris for about half an hour, I headed back down the Arc and walked down to the Seine to get a closer look at the Eiffle Tower. It was even more magical up close. I loved it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to actually get any closer than across the street from it because, or so the word on the street was (literally), some guy was up top threatening to jump. I'm not 100% sure though because I haven't actually read anything about it. Apparently this guy didn't realize that it was my frist visit to Paris. But I am going to head back either tonight (if the rain stops) or tomorrow night and take some pictures of Paris at night...woo, pretty!
Today I had a big day of sight seeing. My frist stop was at Notre Dame,
unfortunately it didn't blow my mind, especially after all the other cathedrales I have seen. After that I headed to the Conciergerie, once a castle, then a jail, where many people were kept until their beheading, including Marie-Antoinette. My next stop was a bit morbid, and more than a little creepy. It was to the city catacombs. Apparently in the 1700s people started to get really sick because of the mass burials that were going on, so the city decided to use the old quarries under the city to house all the old human remains. But instead of just piling them nonchalantly, the bones were actually organized in an almost artistic fashion. I took a picture. It might be really weird, but I wanted to show people how it was organized.
After creeping myself completely out I decided to go and see the Pantheon. It was orginally a religious church but it repurposed (word in the guide book! sounds smart eh?) into a temple to the Nation.
It is now the resting place to many of Frances 'great men' including Voltaire, Rouseau, Victor Hugo, and both Pierre Curie and his wife Marie (the first woman to be entombed here). The building is beautiful and so open. I really enjoyed it. So now you have been brought up to date on my Paris adventure so far. Love to you all!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey amanda....
    these are awesome pictures! i love the arial (kinda) views of the city....kinda eerie with all the fog/rain clouds...
    glad you're having fun still
    frankie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home