The Traveling Adventures of Amanda

This journal is all about my European Adventures! Have a read but just be warned that reading could lead to extreme jealousy!!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Its SOOO green! Oh right, its the Emerald Isle!


Everyone told me it was going to be, and I knew that it was going to be, but I was still so surprised at how green Ireland was from my plane window. I spent the last 20 minutes or so of my flight with my forehead glued to the window looking for any glimpse of my home for the next year, and then there it was. The sky was totally clear so I didn't have to deal with thick clouds and in fact could see the little golfers on the greens...yes dad its true...they are still playing golf in Ireland on the 15th of December.
It was so fun to get into the customs line and get to tell the guy at the desk that I was there to work...and get this...he was really funny! I know! A Customs official with a sense of humour! I have never encountered one of those in an Airport before! I thought they were just a fabled myth...but I am in the lands of magic so that must be why.
My bus ride into Dublin was even really amusing as I had a bit of a character as a bus driver. He speaks numerous languages and would announce all the stops in Irish, English, French, Spanish, and German, including his accented 'blah blah blahs'. He also gave me some safety advice about areas to avoid at night when alone. I was actually a little sad to have to get off the bus.
Tomorrow I am going for my orientation where they will hopefully tell me about some great jobs in Galway and help me get my bank account all set up, and then on Sunday I am going to take the train across the country to get settled! Super excited! My two first priorities are getting a cell phone and a place to live so as soon as I have either I will send out an email to everyone tell you my new contact info. And then you can all start calling me and sending me mail to your hearts content! How exciting for you!
That's about it from the Emerald Isle today! Don't worry that now that I am here I am going to stop posting on my blog, I would never take away such an important procrastination tool used by so many of my family and friends! Postings just might become a little less frequent.
Love to you all!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Amanda,
    I am so truly awed by all that you have done and all that is yet to come for you!! Let's hope that a little of the luck of the irish will come your way and you will find the most amazing job in this world!
    You truly are like your mother, wonderful in every way, amazing sense of humour and filled with the most remarkable zest for life. Everything you do is exciting and new. No wonder I think you both are amazing girls!
    May you always treasure each and every day of this adventure and when you are "bogged" down once again with the joys of the working world, that you just open up your little album and relive this journey one day at a time.

    We wish you the most amazing Christmas and holiday season! I am sure you will celebrate in style in one of those famous Irish pubs! Thank you so much for your post card and for thinking of us.

    Tons of love!

    Keep us posted.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Oh danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling". Sing that to the irish people and they will accept you as one of their own. And so the adventure begins for you Amanda Gulka...actually you might want to change that to O'Gulka now (just a thought). I hope everything is going well, your now 1 step closer to meeting that sexy irish man with eyes as blue as the ocean, hair as red as the fiery pits of hell, and an accent that not even the most educated of people can understand! It's gonna be great!

    love,
    Ben

     

Post a Comment

<< Home