The Traveling Adventures of Amanda

This journal is all about my European Adventures! Have a read but just be warned that reading could lead to extreme jealousy!!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Picture it! Barcelona

I have been saying it for years but it looks like Spain beat me to it. This McDonald's window is a Walk-thru, instead of a drive-thru! Its genius! Can we please put these in Canada for those nights when you just need some fries after having a few pints?


This is Krissy standing outside the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. It is the only Cathedrale in the world that is still not complete and it is not believed to be done for another 30 years. It was designed by Gaudi and looks like something out of a Tim Burton film. The picture to the right and the one in the lower left are of the spires, each toped with a different bunch of fruits or vegs. The one on the bottom right is of the interior, which isn't finished either. It reminded me of being in a huge garden. Windows are all shaped like flower blooms and the colums like the stems. I am SO going to head back 30 years from now to see it all finished!


This pigeon almost flew right into my face! I just thought it was so funny that it almost blinded me for life so I took his picture...or is it a she? Does anyone know how to tell the difference between male and female pigeons?



The mosaic lizard is the symbol that Gaudi used to open his park. There is a large fountain that incorporates the lizard. I just thought it was really fun and HAD to get my picture taken!
These 4 guys were playing in the park and were keeping everyone entertained. I just couldn't believe that they had dragged all their equipment so far up the park! They were really good and I regret not getting one of their CDs. Too bad...once they are famous though I can say that I knew them when!

These two pictures are from the outdoor living space that Gaudi designed. Originally he wanted it to be a space that people could live in harmony with nature but it never really caught on. Now it is a really amazing park covered with mosaics and huge gazebos and seating areas.


If you didn't know, Christopher Columbus was originally from Spain and it seemed every city has a monument to him. This is the one from Barcelona, and I think he might actually be pointing in the direction that he traveled...I could also be making that up though so don't quote me on it!

These two pictures are from the Gaudi Appartment Museum. The on on the right is of the front of the house and the one on the left is Krissy standing on the roof. There are different opinions as to the inspiration for the shape of the roof but one is that it resembles the back of a dragon. It also remined me of the way that light plays on the bottom of a lake through the water.

This guy kept us entertained for a few minutes. He basically tap danced and bounced 3 white balls off the ground while being accompanied by a guy on a piano I think...Krissy, am I right or was it another instrument?
This was a statue from the Dali museum in Figures, and I think its the only picture I took at the museum. If you can't really see what it is, it's of a large hipped and boobied woman standing on the top of a car...She is possed much like the mermaids they used to put on the front of pirate ships. She just looked so feminine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home